University of California, Berkeley - Walter A. Haas School of Business
Senior Director - LED Lighting and IoT @ Samsung Strategy and Innovation Center (SSIC) is a global organization within Samsung focused on identifying and nurturing new technologies in health and wellness, cloud infrastructure, Internet of Things, human computer interface, and other related areas. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, with offices in Korea, Israel and the U.K., SSIC’s mission
Senior Director - LED Lighting and IoT @ Samsung Strategy and Innovation Center (SSIC) is a global organization within Samsung focused on identifying and nurturing new technologies in health and wellness, cloud infrastructure, Internet of Things, human computer interface, and other related areas. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, with offices in Korea, Israel and the U.K., SSIC’s mission is to develop and accelerate groundbreaking technologies through open innovation working in collaboration with entrepreneurs and strategic partners to enhance people’s lives and open new possibilities.
• Strategic Direction: Define Enterprise IoT & Lighting strategy, from product to partnerships.
• Business model: Identify market size, market entry and business models for Enterprise IoT - the Smart-building and Smart-city space.
• Leadership: Define strategy, structure and sustainable processes for LED business unit. Lead a team of ~30 engineering and supporting product management to create next generation platforms.
• Thought Leadership: Innovate and push boundaries of technology architecture. Gain internal and ecosystem partner excitement moving forward. From 2015 to Present (less than a year) Menlo Park, CAVP - West Coast Controls @ Acuity Brands (NYSE: AYI) is an industry leader in integrated lighting control solutions. Adura Technology Group, a division of Acuity Brands, specializes in wireless connectivity between lighting control devices and the default in-fixture wireless technology within the company. LC&D is the default panel division within the company. Started as Director & GM of Adura, then GM of LC&D and finally VP-Engineering of West Coast Controls.
• Strategic Direction: Grew from 7M ft2 to 13M ft2 installed base in 15 months. Identified stakeholders and their interests. Generated excitement and drastically grew “Adura Enabled” wireless fixture families and revenues
• Product Management: Led creation of bread-and-butter products with almost 0% defect rates. Created end-to-end solutions, which included tools for manufacturing, distribution, inside sales, field service, tech support and agents to ensure that the customers received high quality solutions. Got awarded “Supplier of the Year” by a major national retailer.
• Leadership: Defined strategy, structure and sustainable processes. Identified and trained next generation leadership. Grew responsibility from leading 9 people in SF to 17+ people in 2 cities.
• Technology Strategy: Identified technology weaknesses and new direction, which included hardware, firmware and software consolidation. New strategy was adopted by the company.
• Thought Leadership: Drove IoT technology and business strategy discussions. Collaborated with other VPs to present to C-Level executives. From 2013 to 2015 (2 years) San Francisco Bay AreaManagement Consultant @ Worked as an independent technology and business strategy consultant.
• Operation Efficiency: For Fortune 200 company, analyzed & automated a workflow requiring 6 people & taking 2 days/request. Redesign requires 2 ppl & ~2 mins/request. Saved over 500k/yr.
• Technology Strategy: Business automation prototype. For IT implementations that would generally require 9-12 man-months, this big-data system produces results in 1-2 man-months.
• Competitive Strategy: Developed market analysis and competitive strategy for mid-market company. Sped up discussions (from 1-2 days to mins) when discussing competitors. From 2012 to 2013 (1 year) Richmond, CAFounder and CEO @ Energy management consulting firm that designs and commissions integrated Smart Building systems to reduce a building’s energy footprint. Clients included the Federal Reserve and the 5-star Montage Hotel amongst others.
• Strategic Direction: Achieved company vision of gaining scale through partnerships. Grew company to over $1M with $3K in capital. Company profitable in the first year.
• Founded and led company (10+ ppl) to cater to over 400 projects in the West Coast. Most firms, in this space, do less than 20 projects/yr. We did ~80 projects/yr by driving operational efficiency, retaining the best people and creating financing mechanisms.
• Product Management for Smart Building Gateway, which lets you integrate multiple protocols (Zigbee, ZWave etc). Reduced integration time from > 4 weeks to 5 days.
• Managed P&L, negotiated contracts and set policies to achieve negative working capital for operations while maintaining high moral and ethical standards.
• Thought Leader at industry events like Lightfair & CEDIA. Co-author of IESNA’s Lighting Control Protocols publication (IES TM-23-11).
• Exit: Post MBA, sold technology to industry partners. From 2006 to 2013 (7 years) Richmond, CAProduct Manager @ World’s largest lighting controls manufacturer. Systems have been installed in high profile buildings like the Orange County Convention Center and the Oprah Winfrey residence etc.
• Product Management: Worked to understand customer needs. Defined, created and launched products, including HomeWorks Interactive and Illumination, Ecosystem & Quantum. Those software pieces, still used today, are touted as the most flexible, leading Smart Home products
• Leadership: Led cross-functional team of 4 to design solutions that reduce building energy by >20%. Reduced Quality Assurance requirements from 4 people to 0 people by creating automating testing frameworks. Saved 200k/yr.
• Engineering: Created frameworks that enabled quick addition of new products and features in Homeworks. Reduced feature addition time from 2 man months to ~1 week. From 2002 to 2006 (4 years)
MBA, Dean's List @ Columbia University - Columbia Business School From 2010 to 2012 MBA @ University of California, Berkeley - Walter A. Haas School of Business From 2010 to 2012 Bachelor of Science (BSc), Computer Science, Summa Cum Laude @ Louisiana State University From 2000 to 2002 Amar Parmar is skilled in: Product Management, Business Strategy, Entrepreneurship, Lighting, Cross-functional Team..., Leadership, Cloud Computing, Business Intelligence, Strategy, Management, Agile Methodologies, IT Strategy, Start-ups, Project Management, Management Consulting, Energy Efficiency, Process Improvement, Lighting Controls, Mobile Applications, User Experience, Consumer Electronics, Lean Startup, Software Engineering, Product Development, Finance, MBA, Social Media, Lean Management, Lean Software..., Software, jQuery, MongoDB, Cross Functional Team..., NoSQL, Analysis, Analytics, Strategic Partnerships
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension