Head of Marketing KLEENEX UK & Ireland @ Reporting to Country MD, heading the Kleenex brand in UK & Ireland, member of the UK Leadership Team,with full P&L responsibility, £120M Value Sales, £8M Advertising, Insight & Development Budget. Leading and managing a team of 6
Head of Marketing KLEENEX UK & Ireland @ Reporting to Country MD, heading the Kleenex brand in UK & Ireland, member of the UK Leadership Team,with full P&L responsibility, £120M Value Sales, £8M Advertising, Insight & Development Budget. Leading and managing a team of 6 direct reports
• Drove +120 bps of share growth to 51.5% value share by leading commercial & marketing team to implement a strategy of relevance & growth outside of seasonal cold & flu peaks. This has included implementation of a summer consumer promotion. Recognising the impulse nature of the facial tissue category coached the team to put a greater focus on disruptive in-store theatre, using giant camper-van displays in Tesco & Asda. This drove 10% year on year top line growth in the month.
• Led a hothouse cross agency team to harness the best from agency talent & develop a new Kleenex advertising idea which will span the next 12-18 month period. The new program reflects a shift in brand positioning away from illness to gestures of care. Drove global stakeholder alignment from our Chief Marketing Officer through to UK General Manager securing buy-in and to shape the idea. IGD awarded this Advertising campaign one of 5 ‘Digital innovations to watch’ in March 2015
• Built a 3 year strategic business plan from insights and issue assessment through to brand strategy, key initiatives, innovation requirements & P&L planning. This has helped raise internal ambition for the opportunity to grow market share
• Re-structured the team to provide clearer role definition and accountabilities, working together to create a new vision for the brand.
• Sponsored the Graduate Scheme for UK Consumer business from organising recruitment through to participation in assessment centres and allocation of roles for graduates. From March 2014 to Present (1 year 10 months) Head of Marketing ANDREX UK & Ireland @ Headed the Andrex brand in UK & Ireland, member of the UK Leadership Team reporting to country MD. Led a team of 9 staff including 4 direct reports, member the £360M Value Sales, £10M Advertising, Insight & Development Budget, P&L accountable
• Turned a -5% decline in Net Sales mid-year to +0.3% by year-end 2013. Led an 8 week revenue improvement team & implemented a new promotional strategy and stricter portfolio management approach. Focused the commercial teams on the variants that drove highest incrementality.
• Developed 2 new advertising campaigns with one – Rollaphobia - ranked 3rd most liked in the year (Source: Ad-watch, Marketing Magazine 6th Dec. 2013).
• Using analytics and switching data, identified which consumers were leaving the Andrex brand and introduced stronger competitive claims. Succeeded in the removal of an on-pack claim from a leading competitor.
• Led a shopper agency pitch and strengthened agency capability
• Implemented a new digital strategy and drove deeper engagement with our 0.6m Facebook friends by creating conversation under the brand story ‘It’s the little things that make a difference’ From June 2013 to February 2014 (9 months) Head of Category Management UK & Ireland @ Led a team of 15 including 5 direct reports, 10 indirect, including category development managers, commercial leads and shopper insight lead. Also responsible for 25 strong field sales team (outsourced)
• Led development of long term trading strategies, use of data analytics for major pricing/promotion decisions & development category growth strategies across all UK brands
• Ahead of the decision to exit the Huggies nappies brand from the UK, I was part of a confidential team & led the UK customer communication work stream. From January 2012 to June 2013 (1 year 6 months) Head of Child Care Europe (DryNites, Pull-Ups, Huggies Little Swimmers & Little Walkers) @ • Led the baby & toddler pant brands – Pull-Ups®, DryNites® and Huggies® Little Swimmers & Little Walkers across Europe.
• Drove rolling 4 year insight to innovation plans and led a 10 strong multi-functional team including Mill Manager, Planner Brand Managers, Insight lead & Finance. P&L accountable. Drove successful in-sourcing plan to localise production & improve margins From January 2008 to July 2012 (4 years 7 months) Brand Controller – BRANSTON @ Broadened my category experience into food. With external agency team, I led the development of a 3 year innovation pipeline for the brand. I took this to the CEO for endorsement. From June 2007 to December 2007 (7 months) St Albans, United KingdomMarketing Manager, ANDREX toilet tissue @ UK marketing lead for the brand with a team of 4 – reporting to European lead. I managed portfolio, strategic brand planning, specific advertising development & media deployment. P&L accountable
• Launched 2 new products and re-launched a 3rd – in order to extend brand relevance into pre & post families. This drove share growth from 32% to over 34%, an increase in household penetration of 2 million and competitor exit from the category From April 2002 to June 2007 (5 years 3 months) Brand Manager @ • Joined Boots on Graduate Scheme. Graduate roles included: UK field sales for Crookes Healthcare & Junior brand manager for anti-aging cream, based in Spain
• Promoted to UK Brand Manager based in Boots HQ Nottingham, where I developed 2 new Boots-branded cross-category ranges : Boots Alternatives (complementary medicine) & Boots Mediterranean (toiletries, skincare, haircare) From September 1998 to March 2002 (3 years 7 months)
Modern Languages, Joint Honours - French & Spanish @ University of Durham From 1994 to 1998 Emerging Leaders - Executive Education @ London Business School, U. of London From 2011 to 2011 Alex Pickering is skilled in: Product Innovation, Customer Insight, Brand Management, FMCG, Marketing, Consumer Products, Shopper Marketing, Marketing Management, Brand Development, Brand Architecture, Marketing Strategy, Management, Sales, Product Development, Direct Marketing
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension