Software Engineer @ StarMine (acquired by Thomson Reuters)
Lowell High School
I am a problem solver with a foundation in software engineering. I strive for design perfection as do many engineers, but thrive in an environment where engineering decisions are based on business needs and cost/benefits are pragmatically considered with business success in mind. My technical strengths align with data focused backend technologies but I've done enough web
I am a problem solver with a foundation in software engineering. I strive for design perfection as do many engineers, but thrive in an environment where engineering decisions are based on business needs and cost/benefits are pragmatically considered with business success in mind. My technical strengths align with data focused backend technologies but I've done enough web development to have a good understanding of the full stack.
I have a degree in Computer Science with a minor in Technology Management from the University of California, Davis. Engineering GPA: 4.0
Specialties: Technology Management, Small Team Leadership, Systems Architecture, Sysadmin, Information Modeling, Database Design, Performance Optimization, Big Data Processing.
AWS, Linux, Nginx, Varnish, MySQL, Elasticsearch, C++, Ruby on Rails
VP Software Development @ - Led systems architecture for a web site hosting 30M+ pages and serving 30k+ daily users
- Led database design and optimization (MySQL on RDS)
- Implemented and optimized full-text search and geo search of 100M+ semi-structured documents (ElasticSearch on EC2)
- Built basic system to aggregate over 50M+ data points (pre-processed and real-time)
- Participated in web feature implementation using Ruby on Rails
- Handled all System Administration (ubuntu, varnish, nginx, passenger, rails, elasticsearch, cloudfront, route 53, s3) From August 2014 to Present (1 year 3 months) San FranciscoSoftware Engineer @ BuildZoom helps homeowners find great remodeling contractors. From August 2013 to August 2014 (1 year 1 month) San FranciscoHead of Engineering, Persistent Analytics, Investment Management @ Led a 25-strong software engineering team comprised of Software Developers, QA Engineers, and DevOps.
- Kept the team focused and productive despite corporate upheaval and organization instability.
- Hired, trained, and mentored 6 software developers and data engineers.
- Promoted and mentored managers of engineering teams.
- Optimized system performance and improved operational stability.
- Designed technical solutions and estimated cost for business stakeholders.
- Assisted business stakeholders in prioritizing projects. From September 2011 to August 2013 (2 years) San FranciscoSoftware Development Manager @ Designed and implemented systems that ingest financial data from multiple sources, compute billions of data points, and distribute resultant analytics to customers. Worked on applications to compute quantitative models, analyst performance, equity valuation, and aggregations. Projects:
- Aggregations of financials across geopolitical and business taxonomies. 50k companies, 15k data fields, 2k groupings, and 10 years of monthly snapshots. The system utilizes a MySQL database, scalable C++ applications for heavy processing, and PHP scripts for operational tasks.
- Real time research document system processing tens of thousands of XML and PDF files daily. The system parses XML metadata, makes documents searchable in our web product, and sends email alerts to customers interested in specific pieces of research - all in real time. Implementation utilizes C++, PHP, and MySQL replication.
- StarMine Professional, Monitor, and ResearchView: web products serving investment management and financial analyst professionals. Built using PHP, JS, AJAX, and MySQL.
- Web Services to provide financial analytics content to investment management products. C# implementation on top of IIS scaled across a cluster of Windows servers and backed by a cluster of MySQL databases. From November 2009 to September 2011 (1 year 11 months) San Francisco Bay AreaSenior Software Engineer @ Implemented back-end analytics content generation and front-end web products to visualize those analytics.
- Designed and implemented an MVC framework in PHP. The framework allowed for fast paced implementation with minimal bugs and low cost maintenance.
- Built countless dynamic pages to visualize financial analytics data. Optimized SQL queries and introduced AJAX components to reduce page loading time. Used http monitoring tools like HttpWatch to debug and optimize.
- Implemented analytics applications in C++. Designed and optimized databases, SQL queries, and in-memory data structures.
- Owned source code management and deployment procedures that included production releases of database changes, back-end applications, web site source code, and system changes. From August 2007 to November 2009 (2 years 4 months) Software Engineer @ From July 2005 to July 2007 (2 years 1 month) Consultant @ From May 1999 to May 2005 (6 years 1 month) San Francisco Bay AreaQuality Assurance Intern @ Wrote test plans and automation for Outlook 2007 email search capability. From June 2004 to September 2004 (4 months) Intern @ Contributed to StarMine engineering for three consecutive summers and winters while studying for my computer science degree. Jack of all trades, master of none.
- Content Quality Assurance (testing, data analysis, heavy SQL)
- Software Development (C++ for resource intensive applications and PHP for web development)
- Customer Service (financial data analysis, production data correction, customer interaction) From June 2001 to January 2004 (2 years 8 months) San Francisco Bay Area
B.S., Computer Science, Management @ University of California, Davis From 2001 to 2005 Lowell High SchoolLowell High School Alex Litvak is skilled in: MySQL, Linux, Software Engineering, SQL, Database Design, Performance Tuning, PHP, Software Development, Technology Management, Analytics, Web Development, System Architecture, Ruby on Rails, C++, Team Leadership, Software Quality..., Nginx, ElasticSearch
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension