Senior Databasse Manager @ Harvard University - FAS Office of the Registrar
Oracle Database Administrator @ Visible Markets
Wentworth Institute of Technology
IT professional with experience with cloud services, DevOps, Oracle database administration, Unix system administration, storage administration, release engineering and process automation development. Has extensive experience with fast paced startup environments as well as high growth environments. Excels at developing and implementing operations standards and best practices to improve service and reliability. Able to creatively leverage new technology
IT professional with experience with cloud services, DevOps, Oracle database administration, Unix system administration, storage administration, release engineering and process automation development. Has extensive experience with fast paced startup environments as well as high growth environments. Excels at developing and implementing operations standards and best practices to improve service and reliability. Able to creatively leverage new technology to solve complex technical issues.
• Cloud solutions architecture
• Project management
• IT Strategy and planning
• Systems infrastructure design and implementation
• Vendor Management
• Process re-engineering and automation
• Team leadership
Senior DevOps Engineer - Technical Lead @ In this role I provide leadership and ensure consistency over the implementation of technology for the migration of applications to the cloud. I also prioritize and schedule migration efforts to ensure that common practices and processes are followed, maintain technical project documentation, update key user/deployment documentation and communications, design test plans, handle escalations for technical support issues, and work in conjunction with third-party and/or vendor partners. Additional responsibilities include
• Determine the ‘how’” by proposing technical solutions
• Manage/support engagement with app teams
• Create Technical planning documents
• Complete code and configuration, playbooks and runbooks
• Create and conduct architecture demos
• Organize Tier 2 and Tier 3 incident response
• Define and prioritize work for scrum teams
• Support scrum team development sprints
• Validate and approve completed work by teams
• Points of escalation for identified areas
Software Engineering Core Committee
Invited as a core member of the Software Engineering Core Committee. In this role I present on cloud topics and create/conduct workshops on these topics to provide software engineers with hands on experience with cloud technology. From September 2015 to Present (4 months) Senior DevOps Engineer @ Selected as one of the initial four people to seed the creation of a new Cloud & DevOps Program at Harvard University Information Technology. My role was to leverage my experience managing the Harvard University Faculty of Arts and Sciences Student Information Systems Infrastructure and applications. In this role I accomplished the following.
Developed standard cloud architecture patterns and tools to automate the pattern creation. Patterns included
• LAMP – PHP, Ruby, Python
• Apache/Tomcat – Java
Automation of AWS cloud resources with:
• Pyplates (CloudFormation template engine),
Instance configuration with:
• EC2 User Data scripts
• Ansible playbooks
Created standard VPC architecture Instruction Runbook: Developed detailed instructions which included:
• Management of VPC CIDR
• Public/Private subnet allocation
• NAT setup / configurations
• Route table setup / configuration
• Virtual Gateway setup / configuration
• Direct Connect setup / configuration
Created standard Amazon account Instruction Runbook: Developed detailed instructions which included:
• Created IAM policies for admin users which forced MFA
• Created local desktop bash profile script to acquire STS token for MFA protected AWS API calls
• Created single AWS account email and leverage sieve filtering to provide a unique email for each managed AWS account.
Deployed the first Windows BI application to the Cloud; QlikView: This application supports Human Resources, Central Administration, the Faculty of Art and Sciences, and other Harvard University departments.
Automated the creation and management of the cloud infrastructure with Python wrapper script. This Python script used Boto, Pyplates (CloudFormation template engine), and CloudForations. It performed the following:
• Created and updated all the cloud resources
• Backed up Windows 2012 R2 servers via AMI snapshots
• Restored Windows 2012 R2 servers via update to Launch Configuration From January 2015 to August 2015 (8 months) Cloud Core Team Member @ Member of a core team to create an integrated effort to achieve the vision of HUIT 2.0 by building the capability to architect, configure, deploy, and operate HUIT services in optimal ways that provide value to the Harvard Community. The major team deliverable are:
- Developed cloud team and service offering
- Established DevOps team and service offering
- Reviewed inventory and created migration plan
- Developed cloud sourcing strategy
- Created framework of a Continuous Deployment platform
Application Migration to Amazon AWS Pilot
Managed a small agile team to migrate a pilot java application into Amazon AWS. This was the first FASRO application to be migrated to AWS. The goal is to make the application cloud aware and to build a pattern that can be used for deploying additional applications to AWS. The major team deliverable were:
- Architect VPC
- Architect base AMI's
- Architect Oracle RDS
- Architect data transport engine (Python, SQS, S3)
- Architect Continuous Delivery Platform (Jenkins, git, Python, Ansible, cloud formations)
- Architect session management layer (ElastiCache, MemcacheD)
Cloud Storage Gateway PoC
Managed a proof of concept project to investigate and evaluate the cloud storage service marketplace to extend current HUIT IS services in the areas of:
- Future File Share Services
- OnDemand storage
- Lower cost Backup
- PetaByte scale storage needs From August 2014 to January 2015 (6 months) Senior IT Project Manager / Infrastructure Manager @ In this transitional role I manage key IT projects as well as the Harvard University - Faculty of Arts and Sciences IT Infrastructure and team. My team supports an Agile development team to deliver applications that serve the Harvard University students, faculty, and staff. Some of my major accomplishments include:
Data Center Migration
Managed a very successful 3 year project to transition all data center services to the central Harvard University Data Center. This project touched many critical Harvard University services, such as, Student Enrollment, Registration, Grading, Transcripts, etc. The project consisted of 60+ sub projects such as:
- Student Information System Application Infrastructure re-architecture/migration
- Oracle Database re-architecture/migration
- Windows AD migration
- Storage Migration
- Backup infrastructure migration
- Data Center Facilities decommission
ServiceNow Server Provisioning
This project redesigned the Harvard University Information Technology Server Provision process by leveraging ServiceNow for the server provision intake process and workflow automation. This project was successfully completed, significantly improving the user experience by simplifying the request process and quickly delivering servers. Additionally, the server fulfillment process was simplified significantly through standardization and automation. The end result is that servers are being delivered faster with less effort. Some of my key responsibilities included:
- Collection of requirements from fulfillment team
- Creation of design document
- Performed vendor evaluation and management for ServiceNow development
- Created testing plan
- Created training documentation for fulfillment team.
- Conducted training of fulfillment team.
- Manged transition to production
- Generated reports to track KPI's From July 2011 to December 2014 (3 years 6 months) Systems Operations Manager @ In this role I managed the Harvard University - Faculty of Arts ans Sciences IT Infrastructure and team. My team supported an Agile development team to deliver applications that serve the Harvard University students, faculty, and staff. My responsibilities included:
- IT project management
- Strategy and planning
- Budgeting and forecasting
- IT governance
- Solutions architecture
- Release management
- Vendor Management
- Process re-engineering and automation
- Unix system administrator
- Storage administrator
- Disaster recovery and business continuity
Management, administration, and operational support for:
- Oracle 11g databases
- VMware virtual server environment with SRM
- Backup environment
- Storage environment
- Unix, Linux, and Widows Servers environments
- Data center management
- Data center environmental systems: fire suppression, cooling, power, and security From January 2004 to June 2011 (7 years 6 months) Senior Databasse Manager @ Managed the Harvard University Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Student Information Systems Oracle 11g database. This database hosted 20+ applications, serving Harvard students, faculty, and staff. Applications included, Enrollment, Registration, Grading, Transcripts, etc. My responsibility included:
- Managing and performing database upgrades, migrations, performance tuning, etc.
- Automated database monitoring, backup, and cloning.
- Created database and server Disaster Recovery procedures
- Designed physical/logical database architecture.
- Developed standards and best practices for schema design.
- Reviewed all database design and data changes during development process prior to production release.
- Developed database PL?SQL packages used by applications
- Developed ETL automation scripts to exchange data between other data sources withing Harvard University.
- Developed PHP web portal for users to perform self service activities.
Database Release Management:
- Managed / maintained dev, test, stage, and prod database environments.
- Managed database release process during application releases to production.
- Installed, upgraded, maintained Unix servers
- Developed standards and best practices for Unix server architecture/management From January 2002 to January 2004 (2 years 1 month) Oracle Database Administrator @ • Developed and maintained Multi Master Replication for Oracle 8.1.7 24x7 production database environments.
• Installed, upgraded, and supported production, development, and demonstration databases on UNIX Sun Solaris 2.6, Linux, and Windows NT 4.0 / 2000.
• Managed Oracle Financials 11i installation, provided support to a team of outside contractors employed to customize the application.
• Troubleshot performance issues during software development and identified areas that needed tuning to increase application performance using Oracle tools such as Oracle SQL Trace, TKPROF, and utlbstat / utlestat.
• Developed and maintained UNIX shell scripts used to update and migrate financial data into the 24x7 production database.
• Authored a number of documents detailing database backup and recovery procedures, application build and deployment procedures, and database maintenance script logic. From August 2000 to November 2001 (1 year 4 months) Systems Administrator @ • Managed and administered IT infrastructure comprised of Microsoft Windows servers, Exchange Email servers, a Wide Area Network connecting offices throughout the United States, and an early implementation of VoIP. I also managed and implemented the Y2K project.
• Designed and developed Oracle databases as part of large transportation-related projects for a number of clients. From September 1998 to August 2000 (2 years) Network Administrator @ • Administered a 300 node Wide Area Network and a 35 node Local Area Network.
• Maintained and administered Windows NT and SQL server 6.5.
• Automated routine FileMaker Pro database activities with scripting tools.
• Created automated scripts to extract PosterCruiser network data from a large collection of flat files.
• Managed Wide Area Network hardware and software upgrades.
• Supervised and trained Junior Network Administrators.
• Managed all hardware inventory and replacement of defective equipment. From May 1997 to September 1998 (1 year 5 months)
MS CIS, Master of Science in Computer Information Systems @ Bentley University From 1996 to 1998 BS, Bachelor of Science in Interior Architecture @ Wentworth Institute of Technology From 1988 to 1992 Boston College High School From 1984 to 1988 Albert Pacheco is skilled in: Amazon CodeDeploy, Docker, Unix, Python, Amazon RDS, Amazon SQS, Amazon VPC, Amazon S3, cfn-pyplates, Amazon CloudFormation, Ansible, IT Project & Program Management, Databases, Amazon EC2, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension