Computer Engineering @
Rochester Institute of Technology
In short I would label myself as a highly confident Senior IT Manager with Architect level technical skills. I enjoy resolving challenges in crisis or in planning for long term road map to support the business strategy. I can easily adapt to changes and change quickly with new data. I was the go to guy when there's
In short I would label myself as a highly confident Senior IT Manager with Architect level technical skills. I enjoy resolving challenges in crisis or in planning for long term road map to support the business strategy. I can easily adapt to changes and change quickly with new data. I was the go to guy when there's a taunting task or in many cases initiate to take action. My reviews are mostly exceptional throughout my 16+ year career in IT.
I love challenges and strive for customer satisfaction while balancing situational realities. I do not fare well being micromanaged but best when provided a high level strategy and an adequate understanding of available resources and capabilities. I enjoy managing and growing personnel by cultivating their potential but not by micromanagement. I am very well verse in R&D environments and enjoy working in R&D where there are constant changes and challenges. Even though R&D is agile, it does not mean that IT cannot be standardized and still be agile to optimize cost while surpassing customers requirements.
OS (Linux RHEL CentOS Solaris HPUX Windows)
Cloud (Azure AWS)
Automation (Perl Shell Scripting HPSA Puppet)
Firewall (Checkpoint IPtables)
Log (Syslog Splunk)
Monitor (Cacti Nagios Solarwinds)
DNS (Men & Mice, Bind, Infoblox)
IAM (Active Directory LDAP)
Storage (Netapp SAN EMC NFS Samba CIFS)
Networks (WAN LAN DMZ MPLS VPN WLAN Cisco Procurve Aruba BigIP F5)
Patch (Spacewalk, WSUS, Shavlik, Chocolatey)
AV (Symantec SEP)
Proxy (web reverse forwarding)
Compliance (SOX PCI-DSS ISO)
PenTest Tools (Metasploit Helix SamuraiWTF BackTrack)
R&D Supported Apps (Jenkins GIT Perforce PVMGmake Catia Mentor Bugzilla Zuken)
Methodologies (ITIL Agile DevOps)
Senior Service Manager (Principle Service Engineer) - Network, Infrastructure and Security @ Position change is due to Microsoft acquisition of Nokia mobile division. All previous responsibilities and role stay intact with addition of primary focus on network/security integration of R&D organizational services to maintain business continuity. I run a global virtual team of global IT specialist in different areas of expertise. Project highlights below:
● re-IP Project (technical lead): Fix conflicting IP addresses of 5000+ servers in 7 data centers within a short time frame to allow full network/service integration with Microsoft.
- Technical road mapping, DNS manipulation, scripts creation to harmonize/simplify and minimize efforts, firewall rules (30,000+) filtering/analysis/modification
● Network and infrastructure Integration Projects: Find/design/drive integration of network, security, and infrastructure services with Microsoft IT organizations to allow for smooth transition of ex-Nokia R&D IT services.
- Mapping of legacy Nokia network security zones, DNS infrastructure, patching architectures, R&D active directory and other services to myriads of setup and IT organizations within Microsoft
- Data center/lab migration planning, negotiations, and coordination.
● Azure cloud migration Project (Technical Lead): To define solutions and create roadmap to move services from existing data centers to Azure Cloud.
- Review all supported R&D application and service designs to define solution, blockers, and priorities for moving from existing data centers to Azure cloud.
- Ensure SaaS, PaaS in Public Cloud as priorities in designs with appropriate cost benefit analysis
Planned/working on projects include Openstack with Jenkins/Puppet/MaaS for system provisioning, Puppet for Windows/Linux configuration management, and chocolatey for Windows 3rd party applications patching. From April 2014 to July 2015 (1 year 4 months) Burlington, MASenior Service Manager - Network and IT Security @ Similar responsibilities as prior role with additions. I run a global virtual team of senior IT global specialists. Notable additions below:
● R&D DMZ/Extranet networks: Taking over Nokia's R&D collaboration (extranet) networks (Finland, China, USA) and IT security responsibilities to ensure high performing networks for R&D operations and secure designs for R&D dataflow to/from collaborators and direct Internet.
● HCL 3rd party support management: With company outsourcing a large part of our IT organization (non-R&D), my task was to transfer knowledge of network and IT security related areas and to ensure 3rd party service will meet the needs of the R&D business unit operations. With decreasing resources and increasing demands while dealing with 3rd party politics, my primary task is to ensure continuity of business operations while minimizing risk to Nokia IPR in a challenging 3rd party supported system and network landscape.
● Vulnerability Eradication projects manager to ensure R&D IT systems on both extranet and intranet are secure. Resourced team from all R&D IT units, prioritization, Qualys reporting and data manipulation (scripted), and solutions automation where possible. 45000 vulnerabilities eradicated.
● WAN cost savings change manager for R&D sites globally. Ensured global cost saving in changing of vendors, routes, and MPLS does not hamper R&D sites productivity. Monitor, analyze, troubleshoot and negotiate when required with global WAN team and 3rd party HCL to ensure pre-cutover and post-cutover productivity does not drastically change especially in latency, bandwidth utilization capacity and cross site routing schema. Many issues found and resolved. From January 2012 to April 2014 (2 years 4 months) Burlington, MANetwork & IT Security Manager, R&D @ In additional to prior responsibilities as IT Security manager, the area of responsibility expands to including R&D IT global network infrastructure management.
● Create and implement network strategic roadmap for R&D IT organization. Ensure infrastructure foundation harmonization and future planning including DNS, DHCP/PXE, network capacity, network security, performance and other network related areas.
● Negotiate and work with network IT units to ensure R&D organization requirements are truly needed and met within reason and policies. Ensure network monitoring and server level network information is available including virtualized/blade networks.
● Designed, implemented, and supported secure R&D DNS infrastructure using bind and Men & Mice with failover slave clusters on all sites to allow R&D IT to support business requirements quickly with split second record replication, high availability, self-support and multi security zone features.
● Implemented secure file shares using Samba with customized security options to ensure secure sharing of selected and approved data from intranet to extranet to save cost and minimize complexity of business solutions
In general ensure network demands are met to allow for smooth R&D development of products both internally and externally. From March 2010 to January 2012 (1 year 11 months) Burlington, MA USAR&D IT Security Manager @ Responsible for full IT security decisions within global R&D IT organization of about 17+ sites around the world.
● Deployed security projects
- R&D Endpoint Security
- Data Classification and Segregation
- Web Application Firewalls
- Password Management
- VMWare/Netapp/EMC Shared Multi-Zoned Infrastructure
- OS Hardening and Host Breach Detection
- Incident Response Process Testing
- End User Security Awareness
● Provide support to all programs and projects in area of IT security. Liaison to other Nokia IT Security groups. Manage risk for customers and design/provide managed risk solutions to meet R&D customer needs and requirements.
● Support network activities within R&D with focus on security for both IT organization and all R&D units.
● Driving force for network changes in R&D towards network management units. Manage and develop solution for global R&D IT datacenter network infrastructure harmonization and integration with focus on high network performance and securing R&D data/R&D IT infrastructure from a hostile intranet.
● Support R&D needs in merger and acquisitions. Drive network integration that meets network and security policies while maintaining business continuity for R&D.
● Designed and implemented secure forwarding proxies and web servers using modsecurity as web application firewall (WAF)
● Create security policies for R&D including but not limited to incident response processes, security SOP for administrators, etc. Create security newsletter for R&D end user comsumption for promoting security awareness. From March 2006 to March 2010 (4 years 1 month) Burlington, MA USAR&D IT Site Manager, Tokyo @ Ensure smooth IT operations and meet Tokyo R&D IT requirements in relation to business targets. Collect and meet customer requirements while creating IT site strategic roadmap to ensure R&D present and future requirements are met. Design/maintain IT datacenter and manage resources.
● Head global virtual IT security team and develop IT security strategy and solutions for global R&D IT organization while providing hands on support to global projects in the area of security.
● Support local site advanced IT systems/R&D tools (PVMGmake, Catia, Cadence, etc).
● Designed and developed a global IT Security Framework to automate security monitoring and security solutions deployment.
● Support global Nokia IT Security organization as auditor and breach investigator.
● Designed R&D lab containment networks using checkpoint firewalls to ensure network stability
● Line management responsibilities include R&D IT site team, R&D Product Data Management team, and R&D Translation team with a headcount of 13+ personnel.
● Design and build new datacenter taking note on future requirements in power, cooling, capacity, disaster recovery, location, physical security, safety, and cost. From January 2001 to March 2006 (5 years 3 months) Tokyo, Japan(Acting) APAC Regional R&D IT Manager @ Ensure smooth IT operations in the region. Line management for region's IT site managers. Focus was to stabilize IT operations in China and focus on IT personnel needs aggravated by prior management. From September 2003 to December 2003 (4 months) Tokyo, JapanIT Specialist @ Managing and supporting R&D UNIX Environment with focus in HPUX and Solaris systems. Responsible for IT data center operations. Focus on harmonizing and stabilizing the IT systems architecture. From February 1999 to January 2001 (2 years) Tokyo, JapanMilitary Intelligence @ Primary focused in strategic human intelligence From February 1994 to January 1999 (5 years)
Graduated, Chinese Mandarin @ Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center From 1994 to 1995 Computer Engineering @ Rochester Institute of Technology From 1991 to 1993 HS Diploma, Computer Science @ Brooklyn Technical High School From 1987 to 1991 Alan Wong is skilled in: Network Security, Security, Linux, Information Security, Virtualization, Computer Security, Data Center, IT Management, Firewalls, Unix, Virtual Teams, Solaris, Network Design, Network Architecture, Windows, System Architecture, IT Operations, HP-UX, Perl, TCP/IP, DNS, Web Services, Collaboration Solutions, Unix Shell Scripting, Security Monitoring, Security Audits, Mobile Technology, VMware ESX, MySQL, Apache, Active Directory, System Automation, DNS administration, Data Security, Open Source Integration, DMZ, NetApp Filers, SAN, Build Automation, Risk Management, Acquisition Integration, Infrastructure Security, LDAP, Solutions Marketing, Systems Monitoring, Internet Security, Web Security, Cloud Security, Shell Scripting, Windows Azure
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension