MARKET ACCESS EXECUTIVE
Cross functional leadership:Comprehensive payer, channel and federal/state government strategy: Managed markets:Government payer expertise: Wholesale / retail product/ specialty distribution/pharmacy: Pricing- WAC changes/ contract pricing: Government price reporting: Payer marketing: Reimbursement: HUB services: Copay cards: REMS:Business development integration:Channel Strategy: Government affairs:Health economics: PBM & Managed care expertise: Devise contract strategies: ACA impact on
MARKET ACCESS EXECUTIVE
Cross functional leadership:Comprehensive payer, channel and federal/state government strategy: Managed markets:Government payer expertise: Wholesale / retail product/ specialty distribution/pharmacy: Pricing- WAC changes/ contract pricing: Government price reporting: Payer marketing: Reimbursement: HUB services: Copay cards: REMS:Business development integration:Channel Strategy: Government affairs:Health economics: PBM & Managed care expertise: Devise contract strategies: ACA impact on payer mix
Process-oriented, quality-driven, customer-focused Market Access Executive with significant experience in strategic planning and tactical execution, commercial / government account development and leadership and distribution channel creation / management. Reputation for devising and incorporating processes, procedures, and programs that minimize risk, increase sales, decrease costs, and improve profitability. Skilled at attaining access, negotiating favorable contracts, and achieving positive formulary status for oral, injectable, and biologic products. Strengths lie in inspiring and motivating direct reports and cross-functional team members by championing break-through ideas, removing roadblocks, and garnering buy-in to external customer-focused practices in all business dealings.
Vice President, Market Access @ Charged with the task to integrate all strategic and functional channel access, coverage and reimbursement activities of a start-up specialty pharmaceutical company under one centralized focus. Responsibilities include the development, creation, and oversight of channel access strategy, distribution, trade relations, pricing, and payer access including: relationships with all payer segments, oversight of contracting and administration, and compliance with government pricing and reporting. From January 2014 to Present (2 years) Greater Philadelphia AreaSenior Director Market Access @ Challenged to devise, build and execute a comprehensive Market Access strategy to support the launch of the first obesity medication in more than 13 years. Lead a group of 4 direct reports and an overall department of 25 FTE’s and consultants. Responsible for developing channel needs based on product REMS requirements. Partner with DC lobbying firm to remove Medicare Part D exclusion for obesity medications. Develop phamacoeconomic model, tools/value proposition for Account teams to increase access for Qsymia. Partner with employer coalitions to “normalize” the treatment of obesity to ultimately change plan benefit design. Report to Chief commercial officer and sit on Vivus executive operations committee to help set course for the commercialization of Qsymia and future commercial opportunities.
• Partnered with Vivus Medical to create and negotiate with FDA to modify Qsymia REMS program to expand the channel beyond “Mail order” to retail channel as part of product approval. Expansion to retail creates more than a $750 million in additional value per year in the long term forecast for Qsymia.
• Successfully hired, trained and developed internal Market Access team to manage contracting, establish presence at key conferences-(AMCP, PCMA, NACDS) create promotional tools for field team( budget impact model, value proposition, supplements and journal advertising) establish price reporting procedures, compliance reporting and pull through plan for sales force.
• Lead effort in DC to change Medicare Part D exclusion for pharmacological treatment for weight loss. Coordinate with coalition of manufacturers in obesity space, key advocacy groups, consultants and lobbyist. Bill has been introduced, manuscript published and currently in the process of scoring cost of treatment with the CBO.
• Highly functioning NAM team focused on executing payer and employer strategy. Significant wins at Kaiser, ESI/Medco and Aetna. From March 2012 to November 2013 (1 year 9 months) Director of Trade Accounts @ .Enlisted to develop and incorporate the distribution pricing and fee-for-service models for 23 wholesalers (McKesson, Cardinal, AmerisourceBergen, etc.), and nationwide and regional specialty / retail pharmacies (CVS, Walgreen's, Accredo, Curascript, et. al.) to ensure profitability and consistent patient accessibility to products. Interface with C-level executives, purchasing directors, and category managers. Manage a 5-member team charged with creating product movement. Partner with brand teams, providing input on appropriate offerings at the channel level.
• Championed the utilization of Six Sigma processes, development of a strong business case, and sourcing / securing 3PL vendors to transport a flammable testosterone product to distributors in collaboration with manufacturing, which resulted in no impact to fee-for-service agreements and saved $50 million in basis point fees.
• Pioneered strategy to discount Gemzar at distributor level to avert part of 1.5 billion loss of business due to product patent expiration while develop authorized generic, projected to realize $150 million in distinct profitability and protect 50% of market share post patent.
• Avoided pulling $250 million in products from distribution channels and realized zero returns subsequent to theft of $80 million in products from Connecticut warehouse by proving to leadership / customers that existing quality control and chain-of-custody distribution measures kept affected products out of US. Procedures and reporting methods viewed by customers as best-in-class standard for dealing with product theft.
• Realized $1.5 million in distribution and $6 million in tax savings, moved FFS 14 basis points, and estimated distinct profitability of $30 million in 2010 by transitioning Cardinal Health to a single-point distribution system. From December 2009 to March 2012 (2 years 4 months) Director – Specialty Products @ Promoted to create and execute the business development, access, contracting, and formulary access strategies for Human Growth Hormone (HGH), Anti-depressant, and Osteoporosis / Oncology injectible products. Created and developed pricing strategy, and short- / long-term vision for the Specialty Products segment. Collaborated with managed care NAMs and RAMs to develop relationships with key decision makers at regional and national accounts, including Aetna, Cigna, Anthem Wellpoint, Highmark, CVS/Caremark, Medco-Accredo, ESI-Curascript, Icore, and UMCP to achieve specialty pharmacy goals. Hired, trained, coached, and developed 6 specialty account managers in geographically disbursed locations in the US. Coordinated cross-functional efforts across Managed Care, Government, and Trade divisions.
• Realized unprecedented levels of access for Humatrope (78% of covered lives), exceeded $202 million sales goal by 104%, and attained pricing discounts of 17% (versus 19% goal) despite position as 1 of 8 competitive products in the market place by educating pharmacy directors, incorporating creative contracting strategies, and transitioning drug from medical to pharmacy benefit.
• Achieved sole selection of Humatrope by Highmark's president by formulating an innovative split contact offer between Medmark and Highmark (10% upfront and 20% back-end discount) and winning the total business at 32% rebate versus competitor's offer of 37%.
• Persuaded Zyprexa brand to pull 3% upfront discount to LTC GPOs subsequent to analyzing data and developing a business case detailing risk analysis, which returned $26 million to the bottom-line and resulted in no loss of prescriptions.
• Influenced leadership and payer teams to incorporate a new structure centered around control versus services contracting, which decreased rebates, reduced legal risks, and opened process for future brands to successfully utilize distribution channel. From January 2007 to December 2009 (3 years) Indianapolis, Indiana AreaDistrict Sales Manager – Diabetes Franchise (2004-2006) @ Engaged by senior management to turnaround an underperforming district into a top-performing entity. Analyzed current performance, developed action plan, and implemented strategies to increase sales of Humalog, Byetta, Cialis, and Cymbalta with Endocrinologists, Urologists, and Primary Care Physicians. Recruited, hired, trained, and developed 10-14 top sales performers. Provided input to brand teams on pull through initiatives.
• Catapulted district ranking from #30 to #7 in a two-year timeframe by training sales force on selling skills, account targeting strategies, clinical product knowledge, and large account management tactics. Won the Coaching and Peer Awards in 2006.
• Retained 100% of high-performing sales team members; instrumental in the promotion of 9 direct reports to positions of greater responsibility within the company.
• Spearheaded direction / development of a strong Medicare Modernization Act communication plan for utilization by entire PCP sales force From February 2004 to December 2006 (2 years 11 months) Senior Account Executive (National Account Manager) @ Recruited to facilitate the sales, marketing, pull through, distribution, and inventory management efforts for entire product portfolio at national chain and wholesale accounts, including CVS, AmerisourceBergen, Oncology Supply, KinRay, and Brooks. Orchestrated implementation of brand objectives, including compliance and persistency, direct-to-consumer advertising, and disease state management program incorporation. Managed fluctuations and continuous availability of products by incorporating comprehensive inventory management systems and overseeing collaborative relationship efforts between sales forces, managed care personnel, and customers.
• Protected $250 million in private-label insulin business and maintained 50% market share by devising a focused marketing plan surrounding adherence and POS programs, and creating an innovative partnership with CVS that deflected competitive threats.
• Recognized as “Best Account Manager” by HIRC National Retail Drug Chain Executive Panel; received the Account Manager of the Year (2001), Top Gun (2002) and Peer (2003) Awards.
• Developed and implemented Inventory Management Program to maintain consistent product flow and guarantee end-user access. From January 1999 to January 2004 (5 years 1 month) Regional Account Manager @ Promoted to secure access and attain positive formulary status for urology products with regional managed care and government accounts in the Eastern Region. Implemented contract decisions and pull through plans, and communicated push through efforts and reimbursement issues to field sales team members. Developed and maintained solid relationships with key decision makers at MCOs, DOD / VA, regional chain headquarters, and wholesalers. Garnered product and disease state support from influential state advocacy groups.
Achieved 85% managed care coverage in the Eastern region, realized favorable coverage decisions within VISN, and collaborated with territory manager on important government accounts.
Spearheaded creation and incorporation of a program to maintain Erectile Dysfunction coverage within the Department of Defense. From January 1998 to January 1999 (1 year 1 month) Regional Sales Manager @ Tapped by senior management to formulate and implement plans to increase sales / distribution, achieve and maintain product coverage, and attain positive formulary status with managed care and government payers in the Northeast Region. Formed and maintained relationships, and provided support to more than 1100 urologists. Analyzed reports and effectively maintained wholesaler inventory and pharmacy supply.
Instrumental in company achieving $212 million in revenues against initial $25 million goal for transurethral medications.
Collaborated with Key Opinion Leaders in the Urology field in the design and implementation of programs for pharmacy chains and advocacy groups designed to create demand with end-users to increase sales and product utilization. From January 1996 to January 1999 (3 years 1 month) Territory Manager @ Managed the New York territory, which encompassed formulating and implementing strategic business development plans to increase sales and achieve formulary status for products at direct accounts. Conducted field sales and regional computer training for personnel.
Outperformed established goal by 285% and ranked #2 regionally and #3 nationally in 1997.
Achieved formulary status at Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan Veterans Hospitals, and captured direct account relationships at NYU, Cornell University, Montefiore and Columbia University.
Designed a national reimbursement program template to achieve standardization across the company. From January 1996 to January 1998 (2 years 1 month) Sales Representative @ Recruited to turnaround an underperforming territory into a top-performing entity, charged with representing Erectile Dysfunction products to urologists in private practice and hospital environments in the greater New York area. Devised and executed new business development strategies and managed existing accounts.
Improved ranking from #12 to #2 and established a 90% market share within the territory in a two-year timeframe.
Achieved major conversions; Earned highest number of clinical application in February and March 1995. From January 1994 to January 1996 (2 years 1 month)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Marine Affairs @ University of Miami From 1987 to 1991 of Master of Business Administration; Bachelor in Arts, 27; Marketing; Marine Science @ University of Miami From 1987 to 1991 Al Tenuto is skilled in: Cross-functional Team Leadership, Managed Care, Urology, Pharmaceutical Industry, Endocrinology, Diabetes, Sales Operations, Oncology, Market Access, Strategic Planning, Business Development, Hospitals, Management, Sales, New Business Development
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension