Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants (ISCA)
I am a mid-career executive with more than 15 years experience in Finance role with at least 8 years in senior management role such as Regional Controller, Finance Director, CFO, Head of BPO Services in various sectors - oil & gas, engineering and construction, consultancy, F&B and international trade. I have extensive experience in all areas of
I am a mid-career executive with more than 15 years experience in Finance role with at least 8 years in senior management role such as Regional Controller, Finance Director, CFO, Head of BPO Services in various sectors - oil & gas, engineering and construction, consultancy, F&B and international trade. I have extensive experience in all areas of Corporate Finance including budgeting, reporting, strategic planning, development of business plan including detailed roadmap for implementation of business strategy, prospecting and raising of capital, optimization of capital structure and other treasury functions. I have acquired a very good understanding of international tax regime and therefore am able to facilitate the optimization of international tax and structuring of international contracts or transactions. Other cherished experiences include rolling out state of the art global shared services and SAP with leadership for best practices.
Key strength lies in leading and playing a pivotal role in setting up new business lines and start-ups in reputed MNC and SME environment where it is critical to be hands-on, resourceful, independent with high level of energy. This experience extends to establishment of businesses, operations and offices in emerging markets like India, Malaysia, Africa and Brunei.
Apart from Finance role, I have extensive experience in other disciplines - legal, HR and IT. Particularly for legal, I have drafted and negotiated numerous and various types of contracts.
Always looking forward to learn new things & challenges !
CFO @ Tasked to head and start up a trading outfit specializing in business facilitation and international trading of commodities, including vertical integration of acquiring production sources in emerging markets. Streamlining several opportunities in Central Africa and India. From June 2013 to Present (2 years 6 months) CFO @ • Responsible for the Finance Operations of the Group. Board Member and Company Secretary for all Group Companies.
• Member of pioneer team to create & develop the 4 Fingers F&B concept which is doing phenomenally well and expand successfully in Singapore, Indonesia and Philippines.
• Support the development and documentation of franchise operating system and led the development of legal & regulatory framework for international franchising in Indonesia, Philippines and Malaysia.
• Participate in business strategy meetings; develop detailed business plans, targets and budgets including documentation of the roadmap for strategy implementation.
• Project funding requirements; explore cost efficient capitalization strategies, canvass and prospect investors and banks to raise funds. Oversee all treasury matters and manage forex risk.
• Undertake and oversee legal work including drafting, reviewing and participating in the negotiation of broad range of commercial contracts balancing the demand of risk management and commercial success. Contracts drafted include agreements for JV, Shareholders, Loan, Services, Sale & Purchase of Assets/Goods, NDAs, FPAs, Franchising, Trade Secret and Licensing, LOIs and MOUs. Worked with external legal counsels on matters requiring expertise of external legal counsel.
• Oversee the protection and maintenance of the Intellectual Properties of the Company.
• Develop Corporate Governance Procedures and Corporate Policies and Reporting framework for Finance, HR and IT.
• Develop HR framework for performance appraisal, compensations, benefits, recruitment, on boarding and training. Coach and advice managers and supervisors on matters related to staff performance, discipline, grievances etc.
• Develop IT solutions for the Group. From September 2009 to Present (6 years 3 months) SingaporeFinance Director @ • Responsible for the Finance Operations of the company including Planning, Budgeting & Forecasting, operational reporting, policy compliance, Cash management, tax planning, statutory compliance.
• Participate in business strategy meetings; develop detailed business plans and targets including documentation of the roadmap for strategy implementation.
• Lead tax-planning initiatives including managing risk and tax exposure in international contracts and structuring international transactions with subsidiaries and related companies to maximize tax savings.
• Undertake legal work including drafting, reviewing and participating in the negotiation of contracts, substantially reducing external legal cost. Contracts drafted include agreements for Services, RFPs, Subcontracting, JV etc.
• Develop Corporate Governance Procedures and Corporate Policies and Reporting framework for Finance, HR and IT.
• Set up office in New Delhi, India for the commercialization project of the new Terminal 3 IGI Airport in New Delhi. From September 2009 to September 2011 (2 years 1 month) Financial Controller - Aker Business Services @ • Responsible for the Finance Operations of the company including Planning, Budgeting & Forecasting, operational reporting, policy compliance, Cash management, tax planning, statutory compliance.
• Led and played pivotal role in the planning and start up of Shared Services capability in Malaysia including Finance, HR, IT and Application Management.
• Liaised with Malaysian government for set up of operational headquarters and shared services outfit in Malaysia securing tax incentives and grants for the Group.
• Led the planning and implementation of SAP in Malaysia; process owner for Finance procedures in SAP during implementation.
• Manager, HR & People Services, reporting to the Global Process Owner for HR & People Services. Responsible for Kuala Lumpur operations for HR & People Services providing HR, Payroll, Travel administration, and Timesheet processing services to Group companies
• Manager, Accounting Services, reporting to the Global Process Owner for Accounting Services. Responsible for Kuala Lumpur operations providing Accounting Transactional services to Group companies.
• Assisted Global Process Owners in identifying areas of improvements and re-engineering of business processes to improve efficiency and productivity of the centres
• Planned and coordinated the rollout of future customers into HR and Accounting Transactional services.
• Played pivotal role in the set up of business unit in Brunei. Was responsible for HR, expatriate benefits and local administration.
• Undergo executive training for leadership for senior managers. From June 2006 to August 2009 (3 years 3 months) MalaysiaFinancial Controller @ • Member of Aker Kvaerner’s Regional Leadership Team
• Responsible for finance operations in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia.
• Key personnel in Strategic Planning, Budgeting and Forecasting.
• Responsible for regional Monthly operational reporting and actively participated in regional monthly business reviews with HQ in US and Norway. Facilitated Profit & Loss performance of Southeast Asia Business Units.
• Oversee and ensure compliance to Group global finance policies, procedures and business norms. Actively involved in Risk Management
• Communicated and coordinated with Group Tax on regional tax matters. The restructuring, refinancing and recapitalisation of Group Assets in Thailand and Indonesia resulting in a tax savings of USD 1.5M for the Group From December 2005 to June 2006 (7 months) SingaporeAsst Controller, Manager Accounting & Project Controls @ • Responsible for Finance Operations in Singapore including developing and implementing accounting and internal control systems, forecasting & budgeting, cash flow, financial management, treasury activities, corporate governance and tax planning.
• Regional expert in Hyperion and group reporting procedures, application and systems. Initiated and revamped the entire month end process by streamlining, standardizing and automating processes for monthly closing, consolidation, data extraction activities and maximizing the exploitation of the accounting system & Hyperion.
• Ensure timely preparation of regional Monthly operational reports and participated in regional monthly business reviews with HQ.
• Developed and analysed financial inputs required for regional operation’s annual Strategy and Budget exercises.
• Monitor and ensure the compliance of regional operations to Group global finance policies and procedures.
• Planned and coordinated the setting up of cash pooling for regional units. Represented the company for all liaisons with Bankers.
• Designated as Company Secretary.
• Participate in tender evaluation and review process including advice on International Tax matters and structuring of contracts.
• Developed and implemented costing and charging model for IT shared services in Singapore and the region.
• System administrator for JD Edwards accounting software. Trained and provided guidance for JD Edwards’s and Hyperion users in the region. From August 2003 to November 2005 (2 years 4 months) SingaporeSenior Accountant @ • Actively involved in all aspects of the business in addition to carrying out the roles and responsibilities of the company accountant.
• Super-user and system administrator for JD Edwards Accounting system.
• Preparation of regional monthly operational reporting package and presentation.
• Conceived and restructured Project Accounting, Costing and Cost Control Framework. Provided training and advice to operation team on project costing and cost control matters. Eliminated duplicate records maintained by operations to single source of reliable data. From January 2002 to July 2003 (1 year 7 months) Accountant @ • Handled full set of accounts and supervised a team of finance staff.
• Responsible for preparation and analysis of monthly management accounts for Singapore operations and the consolidation of regional management accounts.
• Preparation of annual budget and detailed full year forecast on quarterly basis. Developed a full suit budgeting package for structured approach to zero based budgeting and decentralized the focus to provide data and information from Finance to the departments. Thereby, enabling department heads to work out their own zero based budget with minimal assistance.
• Responsible for project accounting and cost control.
• Administered Payroll & Expatriate Tax. Consolidation and preparation of statutory accounts and actively involved in all audit matters.
• Responsible for all tax matters and liaison with tax agent.
• Responsible for cash flow projections and hedging activities.
• Assisted in the implementation and development of JDE accounting system in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and China. From August 1999 to December 2001 (2 years 5 months) SingaporeSenior Accounts Assistant @ • Prepared shipping documentation, LC negotiation, AR/AP.
• Maintained full sets of accounts, including preparing financial report for three ancillary Shell Subsidiaries in Singapore.
• Financial (Ceres) reporting to holding company. From January 1998 to August 1999 (1 year 8 months) Singapore
Singapore Chartered Accountant @ Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants (ISCA) From 2004 to 2004 FINANCE, FCCA @ ACCA From 1996 to 1999 Science Faculty @ National University of Singapore From 1991 to 1994 Anglo Chinese Junior College From 1987 to 1988 Akbar Kutty is skilled in: Managerial Finance, Financial Modeling, Financial Audits, Financial Analysis, Cost Accounting, IFRS, Hyperion Enterprise, Risk Management, Cash Flow, Restructuring, Corporate Finance, Financial Accounting, Cash Flow Forecasting, Internal Controls, Valuation
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension